The Global Federation Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Global Federation Guidelines of War (suggestion)

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Global Federation Guidelines of War (suggestion) Empty Global Federation Guidelines of War (suggestion)

Post by Apepistan Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:24 am

Greetings!

This is a suggestion for a war system. Some of you may have already read this proposal of mine, so here is it again:

War and battles are said to be unpredictable, but their outcome can be vaguely defined by a series of factors, resulting in a more accurate decision of an arbitation.

These, most important factors would be the following:

- supply of the troops (could be determined via the the arms manufacturing + agricultural aspect of the nations)

- number of the troops (the number of troops deployed in the action)

- technological level of the troops (via the scientific advancement + arms manufacturing of the nations)

- geographical position of the attacker/defender (via battle location and directions illustrated on the world map)

Now, these all need to be numerized and balanced, in order to prodive an equation-like result. I'm saying equation like, because what I have in mind still keeps the "luck" factor (which is, as lots of generals say, the most important part of a battle). How would this look?

numbers + supply + technology + geography = battle score

Both the attacker and the defender has a battle score. The battle score would not instantly determine the outcome of a battle/conflict, but would provide a % of chance for the outcome of the battle, which would help the arbitation decide. Every conflict would have it's own separate thread in the regional events thread, with a nation completely neutral to the conflict doing the arbitation. This would ensure that each nation can only act after the others turn is done, and vice-versa.

Here is an example below:

Long calculations, and example:

Comments, thoughts, and constructive criticism is welcome.
Thank you for reading!
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Global Federation Guidelines of War (suggestion) Empty Re: Global Federation Guidelines of War (suggestion)

Post by Lockdownn Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 am

I love it, gives RP a fresh look. Just one thing though, will we be keeping the population times Defense forces divided by 100,000 rule to calculate our army?
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=lockdownn

Back to top Go down

Global Federation Guidelines of War (suggestion) Empty Re: Global Federation Guidelines of War (suggestion)

Post by Apepistan Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:34 am

Lockdownn wrote:I love it, gives RP a fresh look. Just one thing though, will we be keeping the population times Defense forces divided by 100,000 rule to calculate our army?

That depends on which formula we are using for determining the overall population.
As an example, the USA's population is 320,206,000, and has an overall military personell of 2,349,750. China, with a much bigger population, has less military personell than the USA.

It's really hard to determine, on "war, economic motivation, education, family and friends, politics, and identity and psychosocial factors."
Overall, on average, about 50% of a nations population is male, and 20% of the overall male population is conscriptable. (from the age of 18-30, and healthy) But again, this depends on the overall demographics of the country. This site gives a rather good insight of the demographics of IRL countries:
http://www.indexmundi.com/factbook/countries

Summa summarom, we'll never be able to come up with a precise and fair overall formula for determining one's military strength. I suggest we first come up with a way to determine population, and then we can fiddle around with the defense forces tracker ( IC population x (defense forces tracker value/1000), for example, and see how it goes.
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lockdownn Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:22 am

I have an idea, it's a bit of a long formula, but I believe we can make it work.

To calculate your RP Military -population:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NS-Population x NS-Defense Forces x NS-Arms Manufacturing x NS-Scientific Advancement /10,000,000 = RP-Military Population
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too long? lol, Hopefully we all agree on something before a massive war breaks out. Wink

Last edited by Lockdownn on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Apepistan Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Lockdownn wrote:I have an idea, it's a bit of a long formula, but I believe we can make it work.

To calculate your RP-population:
NS-Population x NS-Defense Forces x NS-Arms Manufacturing x NS-Scientific Advancement /10,000,000 = RP-Population
Too long? lol, Hopefully we all agree on something before a massive war breaks out. Wink

Why would arms manufacturing and defense forces and scientific advancement have to do anything with how large a nations population is?
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lockdownn Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Oops, fixed.
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Apepistan Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Lockdownn wrote:Oops, fixed.

Oh, alright. It kinda makes sense now. Mr. Green
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Xolox Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Lockdownn wrote:I have an idea, it's a bit of a long formula, but I believe we can make it work.

NS-Population x NS-Defense Forces x NS-Arms Manufacturing x NS-Scientific Advancement /10,000,000 = RP-Military Population

In my opinion, the original formula works best for military size. I prefer Apepistan's idea to use those other statistics to kind of calculate their competency.

Also, when this proposal gets hammered out, I suggest we wait on our constitution to get done before doing any kind of voting on it.
Xolox
Xolox

https://globalfederation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lockdownn Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Xolox wrote:

In my opinion, the original formula works best for military size. I prefer Apepistan's idea to use those other statistics to kind of calculate their competency.

Also, when this proposal gets hammered out, I suggest we wait on our constitution to get done before doing any kind of voting on it.
I agree. Any other suggestions from anyone?
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Apepistan Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:29 am

I also prefer the original formula for military size.

Well, if this gets accepted, we'll need a way to determine war moderators. Or does one simply volunteer to do so if war breaks out?
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lockdownn Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 am

Apepistan wrote:I also prefer the original formula for military size.

Well, if this gets accepted, we'll need a way to determine war moderators. Or does one simply volunteer to do so if war breaks out?
If war does break out, you should not have one war mod. So yes, someone neutral and out of the conflict from the beginning should volunteer if they so choose. It should not be someone set as they may or may not be involved. And we don't wanna have to mess around with adding another. 

This also supports the idea of having a separate war thread for the action, and you can display the current news in the news thread.
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Xolox Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:29 pm

I believe we should try to make our wars into a simplified game, so that we can incorporate a tiny bit of strategy into it. As of now, there isn't much room for strategy.

We should have each participant give his battle plans and planned troop movements(just lines with force size written by them) to a war mod who will compare these maps and determine where the troops movements come close enough that the scouts would see each other and a battle would take place.
Xolox
Xolox

Back to top Go down

Post by Apepistan Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:05 am

Xolox wrote:I believe we should try to make our wars into a simplified game, so that we can incorporate a tiny bit of strategy into it. As of now, there isn't much room for strategy.

We should have each participant give his battle plans and planned troop movements(just lines with force size written by them) to a war mod who will compare these maps and determine where the troops movements come close enough that the scouts would see each other and a battle would take place.

So basically the warring nations send their battle plans for their turns to the war mod via a telegram, for example, and then the war mod posts them and the result in the war thread? Sounds good with me.
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lockdownn Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:49 am

Apepistan wrote:
Xolox wrote:I believe we should try to make our wars into a simplified game, so that we can incorporate a tiny bit of strategy into it. As of now, there isn't much room for strategy.

So basically the warring nations send their battle plans for their turns to the war mod via a telegram, for example, and then the war mod posts them and the result in the war thread? Sounds good with me.
That actually sounds pretty cool! I can't wait until it's usable!
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Xolox Sat May 02, 2015 2:08 am

I will try to have some of this written down in proposal form tomorrow.
Xolox
Xolox

Back to top Go down

Post by Apepistan Tue May 05, 2015 12:15 pm

Xolox wrote:I will try to have some of this written down in proposal form tomorrow.

Thank you in advance.
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Xolox Fri May 08, 2015 10:31 pm

I know I said I'd write something up, but school is getting in the way. I should have something down by the end next week.

What do y'all think of having a nation's amount of WMDs public being mandatory, and making them to limited to the amount of weeks the nation has been in the region. Also, WMD number should affect troop count in some way, in my opinion.
Xolox
Xolox

Back to top Go down

Post by Lockdownn Fri May 08, 2015 10:33 pm

Xolox wrote:I know I said I'd write something up, but school is getting in the way. I should have something down by the end next week.

What do y'all think of having a nation's amount of WMDs public being mandatory, and making them to limited to the amount of weeks the nation has been in the region. Also, WMD number should affect troop count in some way, in my opinion.
I agree. Maybe the more WMD's you have the less troops you're allowed to spawn?
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Xolox Fri May 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Xolox
Xolox

Back to top Go down

Post by Arbonation Fri May 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Lockdownn wrote:
Xolox wrote:I know I said I'd write something up, but school is getting in the way. I should have something down by the end next week.

I agree. Maybe the more WMD's you have the less troops you're allowed to spawn?
Guess ill deactivate some nukes Sadface
Arbonation
Arbonation

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=arbonation

Back to top Go down

Post by Lockdownn Fri May 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Spoiler:
It's not official yet, gosh, this idea is still in development. xD
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Apepistan Sat May 09, 2015 5:13 am

That kind of doesn't make much sense, imo. There is no logical reason to explain why a nation with a big military would have only a few WMD-s. I think it'd be more logical if we'd limit the maximum amount of troops one can deploy per turn. For example you can deploy only 100.000 troops or 1 WMD per turn. If you prepare the deployment for a whole turn, you can deploy 200.000 troops or 2 WMD-s, or 100.000 troops and 1 WMD, etc.
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Apocryphi Sun May 24, 2015 7:01 am

If the honourable representative of Apepistan is happy with their proposal I motion we move it to the council for voting.

Legitimate rules for gaining military and population numbers are much needed for further development!
Apocryphi
Apocryphi
Retired Map Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Apepistan Sun May 24, 2015 10:01 am

I have nothing to add, and I think we've discussed it enough.
The main points are:
- the equation to determine battles
- war mods and separate war threads

I think the max. number of troops and/or WMDs to possess or deploy should be a different discussion.
Apepistan
Apepistan
Global Moderator
Role-Play Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lockdownn Sun May 24, 2015 10:15 am

Apepistan wrote:I have nothing to add, and I think we've discussed it enough.
The main points are:
- the equation to determine battles
- war mods and separate war threads

I think the max. number of troops and/or WMDs to possess or deploy should be a different discussion.
Well the war mods and separate threads are a must. As long as the clarifications are clearly explained and posted for everyone to see.
Lockdownn
Lockdownn
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next